It’s a great responsibility delivering the often-oppressive weight of what seems to be continuously rotten news to the community that you live in and have a great deal of respect for. Rob Blair felt the weight of that responsibility and did his best to bring some levity to your daily dose of world wrongs. He’s left a footprint full of accuracy, authenticity, and cheer on the early-morning news spot, and a footprint full of affection for his genuine je ne sais quoi on our hearts. We are grateful that he sat down with us to let us know what his upcoming plans are, and to tell us how he’s doing after KHSL/KNVN’s new parent company, GoCom, went rogue and let him go from Wake Up!

When we sat down for our last morning cup of coffee-closure, Blair spoke candidly about everything from his future plans, finding love,  and how an inadvertant on-air stumble led him on a journey paved with silver linings from Vegas to Chico.

So…how ya doing?

Well it was shocking at first, but I’m a person of faith and I guess this was a sign.

Have you been following the social media response to the news?

I try to stay away from them, [but] my husband will say, “Oh my gosh! Listen to this!” Like 98% of the comments have been incredible, and after such a tumultuous happening in Vegas, to have a community that has embraced me so much…

Vegas.

I will talk about Vegas…here’s what I’m going to say to you, to set the record straight one last time, the last time I will ever talk about it until I write a book: I’m a Christian. My mom was a minister at an interracial church; I grew up loving people for who they were. I’m also a gay man who knows what it’s like to be rejected by some family—not just a community, but by some family. It was a stumble. It was NOT a slip of the tongue, because that means it was in your head already. I didn’t even know what that word was.

But—I do believe things happen for a reason.

I had been single for eight years. I asked God, “When am I gonna find the right person in my life?” And after Vegas happened, I went to Costa Rica and did a mission trip. I had to get out of my head and help other people because I couldn’t help myself at that point. I just couldn’t believe that people would think that about me.

So I went and worked with the Salvation Army in Costa Rica, and worked with different homeless organizations, and worked with an HIV/AIDS organization, and then I moved to Los Angeles, back where I went to school. I went to Chapman University in Orange County. So, I went to L.A. and it was there that I met someone—and we’ve been married (we are legally married still, we were part of that little window) since 2008. So I believe everything happens for a reason. If Vegas didn’t happen, then I would not have met Michael. And if I had not met someone so supportive of my career, then I wouldn’t be in Chico. I think yeah, we’re scared right now, but we have faith and we have each other.

Now, Michael is a history teacher and two weeks ago he got his pink slip, so we’ve both just put our heads together and said, “Ok we’re getting the signs.” And it looks like we will be moving.

Oh noes! Where are you moving to?

Long Beach. We met in Long Beach and it’s a beautiful area. Michael’s already looking at schools and I’m having a blast looking at the possibilities in what lies ahead. I’m not looking at this with fear…or at least I try [not to]. I’m trying to look at this with curiosity and hope. I’m even looking at the possibility of mortuary sciences, which I know might creep some people out but it’s something that helps and offers hope to people. I’m also looking at counseling, grief counseling…you know I’m a crier. I cry at every sad movie, that little Westie in the puppy commercial, I cry at everything. And you know what? I haven’t cried once yet. I think I’m going to cry when I’m sad…and I’m not sad.

Have you been wearing your pajamas for an extra long time in the morning?

Yes! I’ve been sleeping! That’s what I’ve been doing!

A lot of people are going to miss having their first cup of coffee with you in the morning. If not you, then who should they have their coffee with?

I think we’re all special, and they should have coffee with someone who is genuine, [someone] who is real. I think that’s what I was known for. I’m not perfect; I make fun of myself all the time, and hopefully people could relate to me. And hopefully they could see that I wasn’t trying to be a TV character, I was just trying to be me and be authentic. I really didn’t know the footprint that I’d left on that 5:30-11 slot until I was let go.

Sometimes when you were doing the weather did you feel like, “It’s gonna be hot for three months, just roll the same tape from yesterday”?

It was a challenge! That’s where some personality comes into play. You have to have a strategy: “What can I do that’s different? What can I do that’s informative and not just goofy?” I wanted to be fun and informative and accurate. Accuracy was important to me. Summers are a challenge. It’s allllll sun and it’s alllll 100s. People, it’s just gonna be hot. Wear extra strength anti-perspirant and SPF 30.

But getting in front of the green screen and just dancing around was not my goal. My goal was to be myself, have some fun, make people laugh, and give people a break from [bad] news.

Except when you were a banana, you were in the zone there.

[Laughing.] But there are other sides to me, I’m not just a goofball. I have my bad days, and I’ve had a tough life—everybody’s had a tough life. But when I had a job to do, I did it to the best of my ability and again, I really didn’t know how much I was appreciated. I’m so grateful.

So what will you miss, and what’s next?

I really enjoy community service. I really have loved the time that I’ve been here, the times that I’ve been able to get out into the community and do things with Big Brothers and Big Sisters, the Humane Society…that’s the fun stuff. Because, you know, we live here too, we’re part of this community. I’m leaning toward the non-profit sector, public speaking. I don’t know what that means yet, but I’ve gotten some calls already.

Everybody wishes you the best of luck and thanks you for being part of our community, Rob.

Tags: ,

Sara makes the words happen.

13 Responses to “You guys, Rob Blair is gonna be ok.” Subscribe

1. Renate May 20, 2013 at 11:27 am #

I am glad he will be ok, that’s all we can ask for. However I will miss him greatly, I know lots of People that do. I do believe strongly that things happen for a reason and it seems all the signs are talking to Rob and Michael. So I wish them well and the very best for both of them. I hope all their dreams come true.
    I do have to add the this was another one of the Tv station biggest mistake. Jerry Olenyn and Kelli Saam was another.

2. sharon smith May 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

I just looked up GoCom. Is this a Disney company? Would explain “You fired Rob Blair???” AND I will no longer $support$ anything Disney, if this is the case. Smacks of prejudice! Disney, you’d better rethink “family values” because you have tunnel vision about what you think a family is.

• Karen Barley May 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

I sure miss you Rob ……… the show is lifeless without You. I hope You know how many of us really appreciated YOU and looked forward to seeing YOU in the morning with our coffee. THANK YOU Rob Blair ………… for the bright spot YOU always put in my day!!!! My mornings are NOT the same without YOU in them ……….. and wake up is not in my morning any more because I just can NOT watch it without YOU!!! Knowing you are leaving the area makes me very sad, I was hoping to see you around the area doing that special thing you do and that is making us smile and feel good!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are very talented as a MC ….. and spokes person ………. wish you would think about staying.

3. Erika May 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

Very sad about this and ALSO sad that Michael got a pink slip! My daughter is in Michael’s GATE class and she is very upset that he is leaving. I wish them the best of luck!

4. Theresa May 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Wow so sad he sure will be missed. He is the reason I have watched that newscast every day for the last 6 years at least!!

5. Megan May 21, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

I love you Rob!!!! every morning I wake up and you’re not there at the new desk….I miss your goofy, awkward self, your shaky hands, and letting the dogs practically lick inside your mouth lol!! and your Halloween costumes will never be matched. good luck with everything you do in life, im positive it will be epic and positive ♥

• Megan May 21, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

….News….news desk:)

6. Sheila May 23, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Rob, I was totally shocked when I turned on the news and U weren’t there and then they said that guy was there, Im so sorry they did that to do, We Miss you, I hope u and Michael have a good life where ever U go and what U do next . I have been emailing the station to bring U back as I know othes have been doing it to,, Have a good life,,Sheila

7. Leslie June 14, 2013 at 8:52 am #

It’s time to turn the channel.

8. juanita June 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

great story, thanks.

9. Barbara Zaverl August 1, 2013 at 8:34 am #

I miss you Rob. I just can’t believe they let you go. But my friends and neighbors and I all agree, we are now watching ch. 7 or KRCR news. Whats the matter with people like that. Don’t they understand they are going to lose a lot of viewer’s. I’m so sorry. We love you and will miss you. Hope to see you out there somewhere, soon! Barbara Zaverl

10. elaine conner September 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

We all miss you rob. You brought joy fun and laughter to every morning. We all knew you were guy. So what. The new guys are stiff starchy and quiet boring. Wish you well

11. Teresa Junco December 10, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Rob, I miss you so much!! I think about you every timer he morning weather airs. Obviously, These new owners have no idea what they are doing. That was evident when they let Jerry and Kelley go. That was such a huge mistake ! Now you have been gone for a while, and it will never be the same. I loved your story. I know you will be successful in whatever you do. I just wish you were still here !

Crazy Lips Sewn Shut Guy

After a few whatever dates with Every Generic Tattoo Guy and Socially Awkward Music Store Clerk, I stumbled across this guy who was weird enough to actually hold my interest.

Battlemage

Battlemage is founded on rejecting the principle of the shackled mage… It has, unfortunately, failed miserably in this goal.

No Touching

Today is my birthday. I’ve reached the last year of my twenties, and for the past few weeks I’ve been wanting to do an inventory, of sorts, of things I’ve learned

Spiedkiks

The rhythm repetitively breaks down into beautiful little fractal fragments, gathering entropy, then returning to the ocean to coalesce.

Blaze1 Talks Shop

Blaze just released two solo albums this year on April 20th, Just Sayin and Fresh Out The Box, and toured the country as a supporting act for Devin The Dude and Berner.

Best Bets 9/8/14 – 9/14/14

Monday, September 8th KEITH GREENINGER THE RENDEZVOUS The award winning singer songwriter comes to Chico to celebrate his newly released […]

Prisoners Can Make A Pretty Decent Hooch

Even if it tastes like hell it will do the trick.

A Ginger Answers Your Questions

There are many legends about that fantastic creature known as the redhead.

Pageant Dads, Heatwarmer (WA), and Belda Beast

Anything where Alex Coffin and/or Gavin Fitzgerald are given free rein tends to become amazing.

Gaytheist Comes To Monstros September 10th

They are not metal. They are rock and roll at its finest.

A Crack In The Climate: Butcher Shop 2014

I love the massive community that comes out to enjoy it, the feeling of having this special experience in common.

Supertime

Art by Logan Kruidenier logankruidenier.tumblr.com

Horoscopes 9/8/14-9/14/14

Aries The first couple of days this week are dedicated to the full moon in your twelfth house, and all […]

Never

At this stage of my life, the number of things I realize that I’ll never do steadily increases.

Lofty Goals and The American Dream

People are creating new pathways in that pursuit of happiness: new careers, new value systems, new approaches to implementing social change.